We are hiring part-time copy editor/fact checker
Accuracy, rigor and clarity are the core values of FiveThirtyEight, and we are looking for people who can share these values. FiveThirtyEight is hiring part-time copywriters and fact-checkers to join its copywriting desk and help ensure that our stories, charts, videos and interactive graphics meet the site’s standards for rigorous methods, clear presentations, and reasonable arguments. This means a person who pays attention to details, is good at handling numbers, and is eager to work with FiveThirtyEighters from all departments of the newsroom.
Successful candidates for this position may have a variety of backgrounds and skills-they may be fact checkers, people with experience on the traditional copy table, or even fresh graduates with statistical or coding background and eager to develop editing and research skills.Candidates should Is not Feel that they need to check each box listed below to apply.
This position is part-time, with an average of no more than 29 hours per week. As long as you maintain working hours in the Eastern Time Zone, you can continue to work remotely.
Candidates must meet the conditions:
- At least two years of fact checking, editing or research experience (university or graduate school is acceptable).
- A history of collaborative and friendly work.
- Familiar with spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel and/or programming languages such as R or Python.
- Able to use simple mathematical skills to process and check the accuracy of numbers.
- The meticulous attention to detail and the curiosity of learning.
- General knowledge of American politics or major American sports.
Requirements for applicants:
- Proficient in spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel and/or proficient in statistical programming languages such as R or Python.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of American politics or major American sports.
If you are interested in, Please apply here, And attach your resume and cover letter by April 5th. Again, if you don’t check every box, that’s okay-we are still happy to hear from you.
Finally, if you don’t have the time or interest to work 29 hours a week, but you check many of the boxes above, we are also looking for freelancers for copy editing and fact checking.For more information, please email email@example.com “FREELANCE COPY EDITOR” appears in the subject line.