Britain announced plans to ban prosecutions related to Northern Ireland
After the British government announced the details of an effective amnesty for crimes committed during the turbulent period in Northern Ireland, it clashed with politicians in Belfast and Dublin and aroused sharp criticism from victims and rights organizations.
Northern Ireland Secretary of State Brandon Lewis confirmed the plan on Wednesday. Widely leaked, The legislation prohibits all prosecutions related to crimes committed during the 30-year conflict in the region, which ended with the 1998 Good Friday Agreement. All civil lawsuits and investigations related to the trouble may also cease.
Lewis told the House of Commons that the prosecution of crimes that usually occurred more than 30 years ago has become increasingly difficult, and the process of tracing these crimes has brought “pain, pain and disappointment” to families who have lost their loved ones.
“We know that some people find it difficult to accept the prospect of a criminal prosecution ending, and we will not take our stance lightly… This is a painful acknowledgment of the reality in which we live,” he said.
For decades, families have struggled for justice and answers related to the deaths of more than 3,600 people during the trouble.Most of their attempts were in vain, although they made political commitments to investigate historical crimes and apply the rule of law. Stormont Housing Agreement Support the current government of Northern Ireland.
Earlier this month, the prosecutor abandoned The only accusation that a British soldier in Londonderry (also known as Delhi) died on a bloody Sunday in 1972.
Sir Jeffrey Donaldson, leader of the Democratic Unity Party, the largest political party in Northern Ireland, said that Lewis’ proposal was “completely unacceptable and will be rejected by all those who support justice and the rule of law in Northern Ireland”. He said that the Democratic Unity Party opposed the principle of treating soldiers and police like terrorists.
The nationalist party, Stormont’s second largest power, Sinn Fein, described these measures as “amnesty for British soldiers who took to the streets and shot innocent civilians in Delhi, Ballymurphy and other areas”.
“This is an absolutely malicious act on behalf of the British government,” said Mary Lou McDonald, the leader of Sinn Fein, who called on Irish Taoist leader Micheál Martin to intervene.
Martin stated in the Irish Parliament that “unilaterally abandon the “Stormont House Agreement” and introduce measures equivalent to an amnesty… not the right way.”
“The British government may state its position, but our position as the Irish government, like all political parties and all victim groups in the North, is still consistent with the Stormont House Agreement.
Amnesty International’s Northern Ireland campaign manager Grainne Teggart said that London “showed appalling and offensive disregard for victims; grossly ignored their pain and the right to truth, justice and accountability”.
The condemnation of the victims and their representatives is widespread. Michael O’Hare’s 12-year-old sister, Majella, was shot and killed by a British soldier in 1976. He described these proposals as “complete and unacceptable betrayal.”
Wave Trauma, the largest community victim organization in Northern Ireland, issued an open letter to British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on July 5, warning him that the amnesty “will not help reconciliation. It causes pain and bitterness and is contagious.” To future generations.”
The plan also includes a new independent agency responsible for restoring and providing information on trouble-related deaths and serious injuries, and a “major oral history initiative” that will be used to create reports on personal deaths and serious injuries. Injured.
Lewis believes that these “more likely to bring some sense of justice to the family through recognition, accountability and restoration.”