From cronuts to cruffins and townies to cretzels, there’s something about half-and-half food hybrids that just gets the people going. Case in point: Frumpets.
For the uninitiated, the Frumpet (utterly deserving of a big F btw) is the love child of two foodie greats: French toast and crumpets. Some say they’re what the French call, les in-crump-etents – and *that* was a measly copywriting attempt to make a Home Alone reference fit into a Frumpet recipe. What, you mean to say Kevin McCallister doesn’t strike you as a Frumpet eater? See. The tenuous quote uttered by Kevin’s sister stays.
Combining the sweetness of French toast with the texture of a pillowy crumpet, they’re truly a dish made for lazy autumn days at home… or when you could really do with facing your trypophobia fears once and for all.
Now, it wouldn’t be a french toast crumpet post without mentioning our friends at Oeuf Cafe – home to Brighton’s (and probably the world’s) best Frumpets. If it weren’t for them and their famous creations, we wouldn’t have felt so inspired to have a go at making our very own. From apple crumble to tiramisu and melted cheddar, bacon and caramelised onions, it’s worth having a day trip to Brighton for this place alone.
Without further ado, here’s our quick and easy Frumpet recipe, perfect for all those times you want the best of both worlds for ya breakfast, lunch or dinner. Or just, whenever you feel like eating. Alexa, play Send Me On My Way.
For the Compote:
- Chop strawberries into quarters.
- Pop all your fruit into a pan, along with the granulated sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over a medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. This will take about 5 minutes
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium. Mash the fruit with a serving fork until it reaches your desired consistency.
For the crumble topping:
- Rub the butter into the flour to make a light breadcrumb texture, being careful not to overwork it or the crumble will become heavy.
- Add in the demerara sugar until combined.
For the frumpets:
- Whisk your two eggs together.
- Take the two crumpets and immerse in the spiced egg mixture coating really well.
- Pop the frumpets into a pre-heated pan and cook through.
- Plate up and spoon over your berry compote and crumble topping.
- Inhale like a villain.