There’s a cold snap in the air, we’re all thinking about buying an electric blanket this Black Friday and Strictly is back on our screens, which can only mean one thing… winter’s officially waiting in the wings and from here on out, dinner will be exclusively pie/Deliveroo-based. Not mad about it.
For a quick and easy recipe that’s as hearty as it is faff-free and ideal for a cosy midweek dinner alongside GBBOkeep this mash-topped cottage pie recipe up your (dressing gown) sleeve!
Reasons to love it:
Quick and easy
Can batch cook
Easy to adapt filling for preferences and dietary requirements
Ready in well under an hour
Great for sneaking in veg for fussy eaters and tiny tums
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or shallow casserole.
- Add the chicken and cook until golden.
- Add the leeks and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Scatter over the flour and stir until absorbed.
- Gradually pour in the stock then cook for 5 mins, or until the chicken is cooked through with no pink meat showing and the sauce has thickened.
- Preheat the grill to its highest setting.
- Stir the crème fraîche or cream into the chicken mixture and season well.
- Carefully pour the mixture into a large baking dish.
- Heat the mashed potato according to pack instructions, then stir in half the cheese.
- Spoon it evenly over the chicken mixture, then top with the rest of the cheese.
- Grill for a few minutes until the topping is golden and crisp. Serve & dig in!