India recorded 1,53,052 suicides – an average of 418 daily – in 2020, according to the latest central government data. The numbers for 2020 were more than in 2019 when 1,39,123 suicides were recorded in the country, the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) said in an annual report.

The suicide rate (per population) also increased from 10.4 in 2019 to 11.3 last year, said the NCRB, which operates under the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA). The majority of suicides, 19,909 in total, were reported in Maharashtra, followed by 16,883 in Tamil Nadu, 14,578 in Madhya Pradesh, 13,103 in West Bengal, 12,259 in Karnataka accounting for 13 percent, and 11 in cent, 9.5 per cent, and 8.6 per cent. and 8 percent of all suicides, respectively.

These five states combined accounted for 50.1 percent of the total reported suicides in the country, while the remaining 49.9 percent were reported by the remaining 23 states and eight union territories (UTs), the NCRB said. It added that Uttar Pradesh, the most populous state with a share of 16.9 per cent of the country’s population, had a relatively lower percentage of deaths from suicide, accounting for only 3.1 per cent of the total suicides.

The report showed that Delhi, which is the most populous, recorded the highest number of suicides (3142) among UTs, followed by Puducherry (408). The report showed that a total of 23,855 suicides were reported in 53 major cities of the country in 2020, noting that the suicide rate in cities (14.8) was higher compared to the suicide rate in all of India (11.3).

According to the report, “family problems” (33.6%), “marriage-related problems” (5%) and “illness” (18%) together accounted for 56.7% of the country’s total suicides during 2020. It showed. The report stated that the overall ratio of male to female suicide victims was 70.9 compared to 29.1. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), more than 70 thousand people commit suicide annually, and there are many people who attempt suicide all over the world.

The World Health Organization says suicides are preventable, noting that preventive measures can be taken at the community, individual and cross-sectoral levels.

Disclaimer:This news article may be the reason. If you or someone you know needs assistance, call any of the following helplines: Aasra (Mumbai) 022-27546669, Sneha (Chennai) 044-24640050, Sumaitri (Delhi) 011-23389090, Cooj (Goa) 0832-2252525, Jeevan (Jamshedpur) 065-76453841, Pratheeksha (Kochi) 048-42448830, Maithri (Kochi) 0484-2540530, Roshni (Hyderabad) 040-66202000, Lifeline 033-64643267 (Kolkata)

Read all the latest news, breaking news and coronavirus news here. Follow us Facebook social networking siteAnd Twitter And cable.

Source link

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.