Team news, stats and predictions before facing Newcastle and Man City in the Premier League on Sunday; Match kicks off at 2 pm.
Newcastle Striker Alain Saint-Maximin is in doubt about visiting Manchester City after coming out of Thursday’s defeat to Liverpool with a muscle injury.
Striker Callum Wilson will return to the squad after his rest at Anfield.
Left-back Jamal Lewis was hired for a short time after sustaining a hamstring injury in the 3-1 defeat, while fellow defenders Federico Fernandez (groin) and Paul Dummett (calf) remained out.
Joao Cancelo is available again for Manchester After being suspended for one game in the middle of the week.
The champions are checking on their striker Kyle Walker, who missed Tuesday’s 7-0 win over Leeds due to illness, but Bernardo Silva is expected to be fit despite being replaced with a muscle problem.
Ferran Torres is set to stay out until next month with a broken foot.
how to follow
Long live Renault Super Sunday
Sunday, December 19 at 1:00 p.m.
Live broadcast of the Newcastle and Man City match Sky Sports Premier League from 1.30 pm; Match kicks off at 2 pm. Sky Sports Customers can watch in-game clips on the live match blog at Sky Sports The site and the application. Highlights will also be published in Sky Sports digital platforms and Sky Sports Football YouTube channel shortly after the final whistle.
The last time …
Jones knows the prediction
Trying to impress you with a proof full of value for the Manchester City match is a very difficult task. Such is their complete dominance in matches, almost every potential betting angle for anything positive in terms of goals, shots or match results is too obvious to make a serious argument on such slim odds. Will they win? naturally. Would I like to advise gamblers to get 1/7 with Sky Bet? of course not.
Kevin De Bruyne looked at his best midweek, maybe his shot streaks are worth playing? No. He’s 8/13 and has four or more shots. It’s a ridiculously short price.
With the kind of routine performance being done by City, my eyes wandered through the card markets with the prospect of Allan Saint-Maximin excluding this performance. The French winger suffered a muscle injury in Liverpool and was obstructed and with his absence, the chances of the cards drop dramatically.
Manchester City matches against the bottom half teams tend to produce a low card count anyway due to the one-sided nature of the match as a match can end in 60 minutes. In six of their eight meetings with the final 10 teams this season, there were fewer than three cards in the game. When you throw an indulgent official into the mix in the form of Martin Atkinson, who has shown fewer than three cards in five of his last seven games and has been averaging 2.3 cards per 90 minutes this season, the under-30 achievement points seem worth taking. On 6/5 with Sky Bet.
Expect result: 0-2
betting angle: Less than 30 booking points (6/5 with Skybet)
- Newcastle have won just one of their last 27 Premier League games against Manchester City (D4 L22), winning 2-1 at St James’ Park in January 2019.
- Manchester City have scored goals in their last 25 Premier League games against Newcastle, last failing to do so in a 0-0 draw in November 2006. In the history of the competition, only Arsenal had the longest record against a given opponent (26) against West Bromwich Albion).
- Newcastle claimed their first Premier League win of the season in their last home game, beating Burnley 1-0. They have not won consecutive Premier League matches since December 2019.
- Manchester City won 33 Premier League games in 2021 – one more win that would set a new Premier League record for most wins in a single calendar year.
- Manchester City have won each of their last seven Premier League games, scoring 20 goals and conceding only three. It’s more wins than the Nationals have in their first 10 league games of the season (W6 D2 L2).
- Manchester City have not scored more hat-tricks in the Premier League than against Newcastle (3), as Ferran Torres scored a hat-trick in exactly this match last season.
- Newcastle manager Eddie Howe has lost all 10 of his Premier League games against Manchester City – the worst 100% losing record of any coach against a given opponent in the history of the competition.
- Riyad Mahrez has scored 49 goals in 164 games for Manchester City in all competitions, with Sergio Aguero (61), Gabriel Jesus (63) and Raheem Sterling (76) scoring more for the Nationals since joining the club in 2018.
The latest essential football podcast
On this week’s show we hear from ex-Tottenham defender Michael Dawson, and Peter Smith join Sky Sports football journalists Gerard Brand, Ben Grounds and Adam Butt to look forward to the Premier League weekend.
part One | After a series of postponements, Tottenham will return to the field against the flying team Liverpool on Sunday. Just how hard is that as a player? Michael Dawson assesses the challenge facing Antonio Conte’s men.
Part 2 | Arsenal did well in the middle of the week, finishing fourth in the Premier League table with a win over West Ham. Can they stay there? Gerard Brand discusses their expectations. In addition, Ben Grounds tells us about his encounter with Marcelo Bielsa in the wake of Leeds’ shocking 7-0 defeat at the hands of Man City.
Part 3 | Indeed, Pep Guardiola’s team leads the championship, with seven consecutive victories. Adam Butt explains how the manager’s way of playing allows the city to continue on such devastating streaks to win – and at the other end of the table what their opponents, Newcastle, must do this weekend to stay awake.