Team news, stats and predictions ahead of the Wolverhampton vs Chelsea match in the Premier League on Sunday; Match kicks off at 2 pm.
duo of wolves Fabio Silva And Yerson Mosquera She tested positive for the coronavirus.
loaned south korean striker Hwang Hee-chan In doubt due to the injury he sustained in the 1-0 win over Brighton last time out while fellow striker Silva and defender Mosquera scored positive lateral flow tests.
Wolves are awaiting the result of follow-up PCR tests ahead of a game that is set to be one of only five in the first division to take place this weekend, with four postponed on Saturday due to outbreaks in several clubs.
Thomas Tuchel has admitted that Chelsea could be forced into a ‘crazy’ situation at first Mateo Kovacic And N’Golo Kanti On Sunday’s Premier League trip to Wolverhampton.
Croatian midfielder Kovacic returned to training on Friday after isolation due to Covid-19, while Kante returned to the bench after a knee problem in Thursday’s 1-1 draw with Everton.
Kovacic has not played since late October due to a hamstring strain, with Kante not out on the court since late November.
Ruben Loftus-Cheek He sustained an injury in the Everton draw while JorginhoConstant back problems leave him suspicious of the wolves’ journey, too.
Kai Havertz The test result came back negative for Covid and is back in training in a rare batch for the Blues, who will still be missing Romelu LukakuAnd Timo Werner And Callum Hudson-Odoi In wolves due to coronavirus isolation.
how to follow
Follow Wolves vs Chelsea on our live match blog. Highlights will also be broadcast on the Sky Sports digital platforms and the Sky Sports Football YouTube channel shortly after full time.
The last time …
Jones knows the prediction
Chelsea came out 8/1 with Sky Bet to win the Premier League title. They were 15/8 in November.
To some, that might seem an attractive price to Champions League holders who are just four points off the lead. However, over the past month there have been indications that Thomas Tuchel’s sons are below the level of Manchester City and Liverpool, to the point that I would be surprised now if they did not finish third.
Tuchel was at a loss to explain how they did not comfortably beat Everton on Thursday, calling it an odd result. It’s true that they found Jordan Pickford at his best, but what worries me is that they didn’t have good, consistent attacks in the last 20 minutes when they were chasing a winner. It was the same in the 3-2 win over Leeds where Jorginho took them out with two penalties. Chelsea seem to find it difficult to break through lower block defenses without the influence and natural goal instinct of Romelu Lukaku.
Also, well-organized low strike defenses are no stronger than wolves, who can be willing to send Tuchel’s frustration levels out of range at this level. Bruno Lage’s side have conceded only 14 goals this season – only Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool have conceded fewer goals.
I can see this game going down a familiar low lane. Wolverhampton snatched four points from Chelsea last season, coming from behind to win 2-1 in this match. And at the prices, I’m happy to back them to win or tie with a 6/4 double chance with Sky Bet.
Expect result: 1-1
betting angle: Wolves win or tie (6/4 with SkyBet)
- Wolverhampton’s home matches have seen fewer goals scored than any other team in the Premier League this season (12 – F5 A7), with no team scoring fewer goals at home so far this season compared to Wolverhampton.
- The last time West Ham, Chelsea lost away in the Premier League under Thomas Tuchel for only the second time. The Blues lost their last consecutive away game in December 2020 – a three-match streak, with Wolverhampton’s second defeat.
- Wolves’ last six matches in the Premier League have seen only four goals scored (two 1-0 wins, two 1-0 losses, two 0-0 draws). It’s the lowest number of goals scored in six games by any team in the competition since Wigan in January/February 2009 (also four), with Wigan following Chelsea’s 2-1 defeat.
- Chelsea have conceded at least one sheet in each of their last five Premier League games – it’s their longest run without a clean sheet under Thomas Tuchel, and their longest in the competition since January/February 2020 (6 under Frank Lampard).
- Reece James has provided five assists for Chelsea in the Premier League this season (13 games), more than he provided in his two previous campaigns together (4 in 56 games).
- Mason Mount has scored goals in each of his last four Premier League games for Chelsea – and the last player to score in five consecutive games in the competition for the Blues was Frank Lampard between April and August 2010.
- Chelsea’s Mason Mount scored and assisted in their last two Premier League away games. Only two players have done so in three consecutive away matches in the competition – Son Heung-min in January 2019 and Bruno Fernandes in November 2020.